Fabrizio Romano reveals what Mainoo told Man United official following Amorim’s plea
Fabrizio Romano confirms further talks between Manchester United and Kobbie Mainoo ensued following Ruben Amorim’s press conference.
The 20-year-old has been struggling for prominence since the arrival of the Portuguese manager last November. He was an unused substitute in the first two Premier League rounds, and had to wait for the miserable contest against Grimsby Town in the Carabao to make his first appearance of the season.
Last week, Amorim explained that Mainoo is vying for a starting place against club captain, Bruno Fernandes , while Manuel Ugarte and Casemiro are in contention for the other place. Therefore, many fear that the Englishman is set to starve for playing time this season, especially in the absence of European football, and following the shocking premature elimination from the Carabao Cup.

The midfielder is disgruntled with his lack of game time. (Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images)
In recent days, it has been confirmed by several top sources that Mainoo has asked to leave the club on loan in search of playing time. He has been linked with the likes of Everton, Spurs and Real Madrid .
In his press conference on Friday, Amorim tried to defuse the situation, insisting that the young midfielder remains important to his plans, and urged him to stay at Man Utd and fight for his place.
“Until it is official, I cannot say much. I want Kobbie [Mainoo] to stay,” said the 40-year-old via the Manchester Evening News .
“He needs to fight for his place. We need Kobbie. I understand that the players who aren’t playing in this moment are disappointed. You have to fight during the week.”
Nevertheless, Fabrizio Romano insists that very little has changed following the manager’s statement. As the Italian journalist revealed in his latest update on YouTube, Mainoo held talks with Man United officials following Amorim’s press conference, and he reiterated his desire to leave the club before the transfer deadline.
As the transfer insider explains, the England international is keen to play an important role for his nation in the upcoming World Cup, so he feels the need to earn substantial playing time this season. However, this desire is unlikely to be fulfilled at Old Trafford.
The Man Utd youth product doesn’t plan to permanently leave the nest, but he feels that a loan move would do.
However, it remains to be seen if Amorim and the management would be willing to deprive themselves of the services of one of their four central midfielders if they don’t have a ready-made replacement lined up.