N'Golo Kante, 34, 'could make surprise return to Europe before next week's deadline' - with Ligue 1 rivals battling for former Chelsea star
Former Chelsea star N'Golo Kante could make a shocking return to Europe before next week's transfer deadline, according to reports.
The 34-year-old has spent the last two seasons in the Saudi Pro League with Al-Ittihad after leaving west London in 2023.
Many would have thought that the energetic midfielder, who won two Premier League titles during his eight years in England, would see out the rest of his playing days in the Middle East - but in a shocking development, that may not be the case.
Kante has been offered to Ligue 1 's Paris FC and AS Monaco this week, according to French outlet L'Equipe.
Both sides are said to be open to a move for the France international, which would see him return to Ligue 1 a decade after he left Caen.
Al-Ittihad are thought to be looking to offload players in an attempt to free up space in their squad for additions of their own.
Former Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kante could make a shocking return to Europe this week

The France midfielder has spent the last two seasons playing in Saudi Arabia for Al-Ittihad

Kante is the latest player linked with a move away from the Saudi Pro League side, who boast Karim Benzema up front, after former Liverpool midfielder Fabinho was offered to European clubs earlier in the window.
The pair's departure could aid Al-Ittihad's reported pursuit of Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes.
The Portuguese midfielder held talks with the Laurent Blanc-managed club last week, according to The Sun.
Initial talks were said to have been 'positive', though Fernandes is understood to be demanding a contract worth around £33million to tempt him away from Old Trafford.
Fernandes could yet be swayed nevertheless after a difficult start to United's season, made worse by Wednesday's embarrassing loss to League Two's Grimsby Town on penalties.
The Red Devils skipper has however already turned down a mammoth proposal from Saudi Arabia this summer when Al-Hilal offered him £200million to make the switch.
On the request of United boss Ruben Amorim, Fernandes opted to stay at Old Trafford, telling reporters at the time: 'It would have been an easy move.
'I had Ruben Neves and Joao Cancelo there [at Al-Hilal], two people I have a great friendship with - but I want to stay at the highest level, play in big competitions, because I still feel capable.
Kante has reportedly been offered to both Paris FC and AS Monaco, who recently signed Paul Pogba

'There was an opportunity, the president called me and asked if I wanted to go there. They were waiting for me.
'I spoke to coach Amorim and he asked me not to go. Manchester United didn't want to sell me. They don't need the money.
'If I had wanted to leave, they would have made it happen.'